Sunday, September 11, 2016

#IMMOOC: Innovation Through the Lens of a 9/11 Reflection

Why is “innovation” so crucial in education? 
What impact do you see it having on our students and ourselves long term?
via Dr. Justin Tarte


15 years ago today I was a junior in high school.  I was in French class.  I was shocked, silenced, angry, and forever changed.  Like most other people old enough to remember, they know exactly where they were and what they were doing on September 11, 2001.  

After high school, I went on to college to fulfill my passion for learning and teaching.  As cliche and predictable as it may sound, I wanted to be a teacher because I wanted to make a difference.  I wanted to give students a chance to be the very best they could be.  I wanted to share my love of reading, writing, and learning about the world around me with children who would grow into productive citizens of the world.  I believed and deeply felt what is expressed in the image above.

On the 15th anniversary of 9/11, it seems like my answer to these questions about the importance and impact of innovation in the classroom are more pertinent than ever.  The impact educators can [and must!] have on students now carries more weight and meaning.  Teachers of today have the potential to prevent violence, wars, hatred.  Educators of today have a responsibility to show students how to make a positive impact on their schools, their communities, and the world.

So why is "innovation" so critical in education?  Because our students are living in a world that is constantly changing and evolving.  It's no longer an option to have our students exist in their own little world.  If we do not make changes in the way we teach and the way our students learn, we will have failed them.


With the advancements in technology, we as educators now have the ability to bring the world to our students.  We can connect them to other students all around the world.  We can foster understanding, empathy, and friendships.  Worksheets, textbooks, and teacher-centered instruction cannot do the same.   

Making major changes in education can impact not only our students and ourselves, but eventually the work we do as educators could impact the future of our world.  Now more than ever, it's crucial we innovate to make a difference, an impact, and reject the status quo. 

#NeverForget
#NeverAgain

2 comments:

  1. Good post... We have to take our 20th century mentalities... and shift them so we can see the world through 21st century realities... for their sake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie...I appreciate the connection you have made here. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment!